MAME 0.33b5 was released on 10 June 1998.
The known contributors for this version are, in alphabetical order:
The known contributions for this version are, in the order specified in the whatsnew:
- John Butler added rotation support to Zaxxon (albeit slow).
- Paul Leaman added the missing scrolling layer to Ghouls 'n Ghosts.
- Nicola Salmoria changed games which use the dynamic palette system so they longer need 16-bit modes: Section Z, Legendary Wings, Trojan, Speed Rumbler, Rygar, Silkworm, Gemini Wing, Tiger Road. The new code is also used by these drivers which were previously doing the palette reduction by themselves, but couldn't handle well color cycling and fades: Bad Dudes, Robocop, Hippodrome, Heavy Barrel, Sly Spy, Midnight Resistance.
- Nicola Salmoria the Atari System 2 games automatically pick the 512x384 VESA resolution, instead of going for 1024x768 with pixel doubling. IMPORTANT: if your card doesn't support 512x384, they will not work. You'll have to specify -640x480 or -1024x768.
- Nicola Salmoria fixed a bug in ADPCM sample playback. Many games are affected, e.g. Robocop, Bad Dudes.
- Nicola Salmoria made an attempt at making the main Galaxian / Moon Cresta sound channel more accurate.
- Santeri Saarimaa added high score support to Challenger, MegaTack, Killer Comet.
- Us vs Them is playable, though of course you can't see the backgrounds which were stored on the laser disc. MACH 3 still doesn't work.
- Nicola Salmoria added the new flag IPF_RESETCPU for input ports. When this flag is set, CPU #0 is reset when the key is pressed. This cleaned up the vicdual driver.
- IMPORTANT: drawgfx(...,TRANSPARENCY_THROUGH) now requires the caller to do the mapping with Machine->pens. This was necessary to allow for TRANSPARENCY_THROUGH, palette_transparent_color in dynamic palette games.
New Games added or promoted from GAME_NOT_WORKING status