MAME 0.34b5 was released on 16 October 1998.
The known contributors for this version are, in alphabetical order:
The known contributions for this version are, in the order specified in the whatsnew:
- Nicola Salmoria improved the user interface. Use "the key on the left of 1" (tilde on some leyboards) to turn on the On Screen Display which lets you change Volume, Gamma Correction, Brightess, and independently set the volume levels of the sound chips. Tab still brings up the setup menu, which is now asynchronous.
- Nicola Salmoria improved the profiler in the DOS version. It now REQUIRES the Pentium-class RDTSC instruction. It will not work on 486s, older Pentiums, and maybe other non-Intel CPUs.
- Carl-Henrik Skårstedt added a YM3812 and YM3526 software emulator. In the DOS version it is disabled because we are using the 100% compatible SoundBlaster OPL chip.
- Andrea Mazzoleni added an I86 disassembler for the debugger, based on code by Robin Hilliard.
- Alex Pasadyn added new functions install_mem_read_handler() and install_mem_write_handler(). They can be used to install special memory handlers (for example, to trap busy loops, or to make small changes to the memory map for games running on similar hardware).
- Nicola Salmoria added a new field driver_init in the GameDriver structure. It's an optional function which can be used to do some game specific initialization, for example by adding memory handlers using the above functions.
- Stephane Humbert made changes to the cheat system
- 15 active cheats instead of 10.
- Free memory before the start of a new search.
- Possibility of searches in CPUs other than 0 : a question is asked to the user to choose a CPU (0 default) when he starts a new search and the game has more than one CPU.
- Possibility to view watches for CPUs other than 0.
- CPU is displayed with the watches.
- Possibility to change the CPU of a watch by pressing 9 (previous CPU) and 0 (next CPU) .
- Possibility to copy a cheat code by pressing F4.
- Possibility to rename the cheat filename by pressing F5.
- Possibility to save all the cheat codes to disk by pressing F6.
- Possibility to remove all the cheat codes from the active list by pressing F7.
- In the edit cheat, on the data line :
- Home sets the value to 0
- End sets the value to 0x80.
- Possibility to use to use Home, End, PgDown and PgUp to select a cheat code in the list.
- Data is saved on 2 hex digits (%02X) .
New Games added or promoted from GAME_NOT_WORKING status