MAME 0.33b4 was released on 31 May 1998.
The known contributors for this version are, in alphabetical order:
The known contributions for this version are, in the order specified in the whatsnew:
- Nicola Salmoria fixed the colors in Warp Warp, Wonder Boy Deluxe, Up'n Down, Pitfall II
- Nicola Salmoria slightly reduced the visible area of the Williams games, I'm not sure which would be the correct setting though.
- Sped up music tempo in Gun Dealer.
- Alex Judd added support for word samples to Wizard of Wor. Only 30% of the needed samples are available, however.
- Support for the complete Curveball set. This also fixes the crash.
- Bryan McPhail made many improvements to the DECO games, especially Heavy Barrel.
- Marco Cassili did lots of clean up, consolidation, dip switches additions, color fixes to the Carnival driver (which is now called vicdual.c, since Carnival is just one of the many games which run on that hardware).
- Slowed down a little the Sega raster games.
- You can assign a joystick button to the gear shift in Spy Hunter.
- Increased the default gamma correction for the DOS version to 1.2. This will not have effect unless you change it in MAME.CFG (or just delete the file).
- Set back the default vgafreq to -1 (=auto). This is necessary for -vsync to pick the correct freq (most of the time) when used with tweaked VGA modes. This will not have effect unless you change it in MAME.CFG (or just delete the file).
- Fixed crash in -verifyroms which occurred in beta 3.
- Nicola Salmoria fixed -ror and -rol with ORIENTATION_SWAP_XY games (e.g. Kick) and ORIENTATION_FLIP_X games (e.g. Discs of Tron).
- Nicola Salmoria added support for -vsync with games running at 57fps (e.g. Moon Patrol). However, due to the sync rate being different, the game runs 6% faster than it should.
- The DOS version is now compiled with GCC 2.8.1.
- Aaron Giles added a T11 CPU emulator. This is used by the Atari System 2 drivers.
- Aaron Giles changed the 68000 memory handlers so they could again be word-aligned instead of longword-aligned.
- Nicola Salmoria added dynamic palette support for games with >256 colors, not complete yet but good for many cases. Drivers who want to use it must first of all set up like the static palette ones (put the real number of colors in MachineDriver->total_colors, etc.), and call palette_recalc() in vh_screenrefresh() before drawing anything. A color uage table must be passed to palette_recalc() so that the function knows which colors are needed. Drivers which use the new system, and therefore no longer run in 16-bit video modes: Black Tiger, City Connection, Gun Dealer, Ninja Gai Den.
- Nicola Salmoria changed MAME so color PROMs no longer have to be included in the source. They can be loaded from disk just like the other ROMs. You just have to replace the color_prom pointer with the PROM_MEMORY_REGION() macro, to tell the core where the PROMs have been loaded. Example driver: Karnov/Chelnov.
New Games added or promoted from GAME_NOT_WORKING status