MAME 0.33b7 was released on 21 July 1998.
The known contributors for this version are, in alphabetical order:
The known contributions for this version are, in the order specified in the whatsnew:
- Aaron Giles changed the CPS1 games, the System 16 games, Toki, World Cup 90, Super Space Invaders, TMNT and Punk Shot to use the dynamic palette system.
- Nicola Salmoria changed Rastan and Rainbow Islands to use the dynamic palette.
- Martin Sandiford added cocktail mode support in some games (invaders, btime, etc.).
- Bernd Wiebelt changed the vector games to use translucent vectors, inspired by Retrocade and Vector Dream. Color intensities had to be lowered, if it feels to dark for you now, increase the gamma correction value.
- Paul Swan added accurate colors in Road Fighter.
- Moon Cresta uses the original gfx ROMs, fixing graphics glitches on the title screen.
- Aaron Giles changed the YM3812 emulator so it still passes commands to the Sound Blaster OPL chip, but handles timers in software. osd_ym3812_status and osd_ym3812_read removed.
- Nicola Salmoria emulated sound in Yie Ar Kung Fu (but you still need samples for speech)
- Bryan McPhail added partial sound in Midnight Resistance and Sly Spy.
- Peter Clare emulated music in Carnival, and support for a new set of samples.
- Dani Portillo fixed Rygar (you'll have to delete your old .hi file)
- Aaron Giles fixed hangs in Tapper, and hopefully other MCR games as well.
- Aaron Giles changed the default scores in Paperboy and Super Sprint to be correct (though of course you must delete the .HI files)
- Brian Verre added close to accurate 68000 instruction timing.
- The copyright disclaimer and driver credits screens are shown only the first time a game is run. The game information screen is always shown since it may contain important info.
- Bernd Wiebelt modified the code of the DOS version so that to start a game you can use
- the full game name as listed in "mame -listfull"
- any ordered subset of the characters used in the full game name
- So you can start Asteroids Deluxe like:
- mame "Asteroids Deluxe" !note the quotes!
- mame astdelx
- mame adlx
- The less characters you use, the more likely you'll be surprised which game actually gets choosen.
- Bernd Wiebelt added back older VESA modes to the DOS version to improve comaptibility. If your card doesn't work in VESA mode, try "vesamode=vesa2b" or "vesamode=vesa1" in mame.cfg
- Nicola Salmoria slightly changed the resolution picker in the DOS version, so that when -vesa and -noscanlines are requested, it will use e.g. 320x240 instead of 640x480 with pixel doubling, and 400x300 instead of 800x600 with pixel doubling. If the lower res mode is not available, it automatically switches back to the pixel doubled mode.
- Nicola Salmoria added the new -listclones command to the DOS version, which lists in two columns the clones and the game they are clone of.
- Nicola Salmoria Changed the AY8910 emulation to generate three separate audio streams for the three channels instead of premixing them. This improves audio quality, increases the volume, and doesn't seem to affect performance too much.
- Alex Pasadyn included Neil Bradley's asm M6808 emulator in the DOS version. Note: you need NASM to compile (the makefile defaults to NASMW, the Win32 version).
- Brad Oliver changed the (*vh_update)() call to have an additional parameter, full_refresh. When it is 0, the driver may assume that the screen has not been altered by the main engine since the last call, and do an incremental update instead of redrawing the full screen.
- Nicola Salmoria added some commonly used palette read/write fucntions to vidhrdw/generic.c.
- Peter Clare added support for 16 bit samples in sndhrdw/samples.c. IMPORTANT NOTE FOR PORTERS: for consistency with the sound libraries, osd_play_sample_16() and osd_play_streamed_sample_16() now want the lenth in _bytes_ of the array, instead of the length in _shorts_ as it was before.
- Andrea Mazzoleni added the I8039 to the debugger, using Mike Cuddy's disassembler.
New Games added or promoted from GAME_NOT_WORKING status