MAME 0.126u4 was released on 7 August 2008.
The known contributors for this version are, in alphabetical order:
The known contributions for this version are, in the order specified in the whatsnew:
- robiza added information to the 1943 driver (video) about priorities encoded in PROM.
- Derrick Renaud made a minor optimization to the DISCRETE_INPUT modules. The node output is now calculated when a discrete_sound_w() is called instead of each step in the simulation. Also removed the Enable line from the DISCRETE_ADJUSTMENT modules. They should never be disabled.
- Aaron Giles removed per-frame metadata support from chdman. Creating an A/V now simply requires an AVI file input.
- Aaron Giles changed laserdisc support to parse white flags and other data from the VBI data directly, rather than relying on the textual metadata. Expanded video frame cache to 3. Changed the way frames are assembled to decrease the likelihood of getting an interlaced weave. Fixed sound creation so that it is done at reset time instead of device start, when the sound devices aren't yet live.
- Aaron Giles fixed a bug in winwork that caused the creation of single work items to return NULL, and thus lead to massive memory leaks when using A/V CHDs.
- Aaron Giles added new functions cputag_set_input_line() to assert input lines via CPU tag instead of index.
- Aaron Giles changed MAME so disks opened by the romload module are no longer identified by index. Instead, they are identified by the region they were loaded in. This generally means one disk per region. get_disk_handle() now takes a region name in place of an index. Updated all callers to do this. The SCSI modules in particular posed a challenge to make this work, so watch out for potential bugs there.
- Aaron Giles changed the IDE interfaces to default to choosing the region with the same tag as the device for its master disk (assuming no slave). Added support for specifying explicit master/slave disk regions as part of the configuration, though slave disks are still not supported yet.
- Aaron Giles change the laserdisc interface to no longer require a disk number or a custom sound device. Both are now assumed to be tagged the same as the laserdisc device. Updated all drivers accordingly.
- Andrew Gardner merged memory maps for drivers: blmbycar, blockade, blockhl, blockout, bombjack, boogwing, and bottom9.
- Guru added readmes for Galaga, The Outfoxies, Splatter House, Top Racer, Kyros No Yakata, Bombs Away, Meikyuu Hunter G, Crazy Kong, Moero Pro Yakyuu Homerun Kyousou, Lucky & Wild, Match It, Country Club, Enforce, Elevator Action, Chuka Taisen, The New Zealand Story, Buck Rogers Zoom 909, Head On, Victorious Nine, Youma Ninpou Chou, Pairs, Woodpecker, Slap Fight, Alcon, Tiger Heli, Superman, WWF Superstars, Area 51, Animalandia Jr, Avengers In Galactic Storm, Alien 3: The Gun, Aquajack, and Missile Command.
- Eke-Eke, Nemesis, Alone Coder, and AamirM backported a bunch of FM OPN (YM2608/2612) fixes from Genesis Plus GX. All of this was verified on real hardware.
- implemented PG overflow, aka "detune bug" (Ariel, Comix Zone, Shaq Fu, Spiderman...)
- fixed SSG-EG support
- modified EG rates and frequency
- fixed EG attenuation level on KEY ON (Ecco 2 splash sound)
- fixed LFO phase update for CH3 special mode (Warlock, Alladin)
- couriersud added scanline exact rendering for dkong & clones
- Sprite limit of 16 sprites per scanline implemented from schematics.
- Proper wrap around from bottom to top
- Added some notes about sprite limits and hardware to dkong driver (thanks to R. Belmont)
- Brian Troha added a edge connector pinout info to flower.c.
- robiza did some initial work on the adp driver.
- robiza fixed window in shanghai and shangha2.
- couriersud changed the 8257dma and z80dma devices so now they require device callback handlers instead of machine handlers. Updated affected drivers accordingly.
- Andrew Gardner improved the Dsp56k CPU interrupt handling. Polygonet Commanders now advances past its first dsp handshake.
- Aaron Giles added proper laserdisc support for MACH 3, Us vs. Them, and Cobra Commander (MACH 3 hardware). Old laserdisc hacks are now removed. The code now talks to the standard Pioneer PR-8210 interface. Also removed hacky "target list" from the MACH 3 ROMs; this information is now decoded on the fly from the right channel laserdisc audio.
- Aaron Giles completed more Gottlieb cleanups:
- fixed rev 2 sound again
- fleshed out memory maps and behaviors according to the schematics
- hooked up coin counters.
- moved sound inputs to audio/gottlieb and included them in all relevant drivers
- ordered input ports and ROM definitions consistently
- Aaron Giles made laserdisc changes:
- changed PR-8210 interface to work consistently for both Gottlieb and Stern games
- added audio callback mechanism to allow drivers to peek at the raw audio streams
- Wilbert Pol set the initial 8253 timer output to 2 to indicate that it is undetermined.
- Aaron Giles removed the obsolete makemeta tool. Replaced it with new ldverify tool which walks through either an AVI or CHD capture from a laserdisc and ensures that there are no anomalies lurking in the VBI data.
- Aaron Giles added new option to chdman, where if you use -createav with a special filename (either 2:2 or 3:2) it will create a fake laserdisc files with the equivalent cadence. This can be used for testing until full captures are available. Most games used 2:2 apart from Dragon's Lair and Space Ace, which were 3:2. Note that even though these files are essentially blank, they are Huffman-compressed, meaning that the maximum compression ratio you will get is 8:1, so they still end up ~5GB.
- Aaron Giles moved error strings from chdman.c to chd.c, where they can be fetched from any caller via the new chd_error_string() function.
- Aaron Giles updated vbiparse to improve Manchester code decoding. It now assigns a confidence level per bit based on how solid the data is. Also added a new function vbi_parse_all which parses the white flag and all three lines of metadata from a laserdisc frame. It then compares line 17 and 18 against each other and selects the most likely candidate based on per-bit confidence and other factors.
- Aaron Giles added frame number display to laserdsc.c. It is off by default, though most players can be configured to turn it on (not sure if any actually do). It can be manually toggled via the backslash key during playback.
- couriersud made discrete sound core optimizations:
- moved a couple of exp(x) from _step into _reset where appropriate
- use tabulated function values for the transfer function in DSS_INVERTER_OSC
- Jarek Burczynski forced synchronization (stream_update()) before the YM2151 status is actually read.
- Derrick Renaud added Discrete Sound to Fantasy, Nibbler and Pioneer Balloon.
- Aaron Giles made changes to the cheat.xml format:
- new tag <comment> (within <cheat>) is read and preserved when saved
- removed variable attribute from <parameter>; it is now assumed to be 'param'
- added default attribute for <parameter>
- Aaron Giles added new variable 'frame' accessible from cheat scripts. This can be used in the conditional to prevent execution on every frame, or for other effects (like displaying temporary messages).
- Aaron Giles added new variable 'argindex' which is the index when processing an <argument> with a count attribute greater than 1.
- Aaron Giles reinstated the cheat menu. It now displays all loaded cheats and allows for them to be activated. All known cheat behaviors should be working now. Cheats are toggled on/off with the left/right arrow keys. Oneshot cheats are activated by hitting enter. Pressing enter on other cheats resets them to their default values.
- Fabio Priuli continued the cleanup of inputs in drivers starting with C (the remaining ones), D and E. Improvements include conditional dips added to dynduke and diplocations for chinagat, chqflag, circus, citycon, cloak, contra and dynduke.
- Fabio Priuli added tags to EVERY input port in drivers starting with F->Z.
- Aaron Giles removed PORT_START macro. Renamed old PORT_START_TAG to PORT_START. All input ports must have tags.
- Aaron Giles added support for DEL as well as BS for backspacing in the game select menu. Also limited input to ASCII characters.
- Tim Lindner fixed Rim Rockin' Basketball to use the HD6309 core.
- Fabio Priuli added diplocations to bigrun, scudhamm, cischeat & f1gpstar. Removed the current hacky handling of f1gpstar coinage dips to use conditional ports instead. In order to do this, the possible conditions were extended to support less than/greater than comparisons.
- Aaron Giles fixed a bug that would break conditions on ports using the PORT_DIPUNKNOWN_DIPLOC macro.
- Fabio Priuli added diplocations to the following drivers: combatsc.c, copsnrob.c, cosmic.c, crgolf.c, crimfght.c, crospang.c (here I also added service dips to heuksun and bestri, which allowed me to verify locations), crshrace.c, dambustr.c, darkseal.c, dassault.c, dblewing.c, ddrible.c, deadang.c. Also added locations to the following games: ddragon & ddragon2 on ddragon.c and docastle, dorunrun & dowild in docastle.c.
- couriersud added module profiling to discrete sound core
- added DISCRETE_PROFILING macro to discrete.h
- Upon discrete_stop, the worst performing modules will be listed
- Corrado Tomaselli changed sound cpu clock of Spinal Breakers to 5Mhz as verified on the pcb.
- Aaron Giles added word alternates for operators in expressions:
- + plus
- - minus
- * times or mul
- / div
- % mod
- ! not
- ~ bnot
- && and
- & band
- || or
- | bor
- ^ bxor
- lt <
- le <=
- gt >
- ge >=
- eq ==
- ne !=
- Aaron Giles changed cheat escaping to automatically escape && & < and <= to and band lt and le.
- Aaron Giles fixed a bug in aviio.c which could cause an infinite loop if attempting to read sound beyond the end of the file.
- Aaron Giles added expression validation callback to verify names for CPUs and memory regions. Extended error codes to report incorrect memory spaces, memory names, or memory sizes. Added verification callback to the debugger to validate CPU and memory region names, as well as verifying that a requested address space exists for a given CPU.
- Aaron Giles restored previous behavior that allowed popmessage() messages to overlay menus and other UI.
New games added or promoted from NOT_WORKING status
New clones added
New games marked as GAME_NOT_WORKING