MAME 0.34b8 was released on 29 November 1998.
The known contributors for this version are, in alphabetical order:
The known contributions for this version are, in the order specified in the whatsnew:
- Neo Geo status
- All games work, both in arcade and home mode. If you are stuck with a copyright message or the coin inputs don't work, delete the .CFG and .HI file for that game. This will fix the problem. Super Sidekicks 2 controls still stop working after a couple of minutes, though. Crossed Swords doesn't let you start a game in arcade mode. It works in home mode.
- Sound support is 95% complete. If you experience garbled sound and you get NO GOOD DUMP EXISTS errors, this is caused by bad ROMs, not by imperfect emulation. There is NO WAY to fix that apart from redumping the bad ROMs.
- If you get a Z80 ERROR message, it means that the sound program ROM is bad. Run the game without sound.
- A few games have graphics glitches which are not easily fixed.
- "ROM length mismatch" errors. If you get these, you are just using ROMs larger than the ones MAME expects. This is not a fatal error and the game will still run fine (provided the ROMs are good, of course). You can "fix" the ROMs yourself just by removing the second half of the file. Note that the sizes used by MAME are sort of arbitrary. In many cases it is difficult to know for sure which size the ROMs are really supposed to be, so we decided to consistently use the smallest possible files. The real ROMs *might* be larger than that, but the extra space is not used by the game - it is either all FF, or contains a verbatim copy of the first half.
- Nicola Salmoria fixed Intrepid so rooms are now properly hidden until you enter them. Also fixed the bridges in Round Up.
- David Widel added high score support to Cloak and Dagger, Frenzy, Future Spy, Cop 01.
- Howard Cohen added high score support to Bionic Commando, Blasto, Tomahawk, Astro Invader, plus many fixes.
- Nicola Salmoria added support for stereo output. This is implelemented in the YM2610 and in Tatsuyuki's YM2151. It can be used by other games, for example the Atari System 2 games (Paper Boy etc.) have two Pokeys, one per channel.
- Bryan McPhail fixed Chelnov so it is now playable! Plus many other fixes to the driver including slowdowns in Karnov.
- Stereo sound support in the DOS version. It is a little slower than mono, to turn it off use -nostereo. Stereo is enabled only for YM2610 and YM2151 games. The others always use mono.
- Andrea Mazzoleni added the new -listinfo command to the DOS version to give details on all of the supported games.
- Stephane Humbert made several changes to the cheat system, you'll have to download a new cheat database if you want to use it.
- Nicola Salmoria changed the DOS version to use a new beta version of the SEAL audio library which further improves the dynamic range. You'll notice louder and better balanced sound in many games. Let me know about games with bad balance.
New Games added or promoted from GAME_NOT_WORKING status