MAME 0.87u3 was released on 12 October 2004.
The known contributors for this version are, in alphabetical order:
The known contributions for this version are, in the order specified in the whatsnew:
- Aaron Giles updated the Exidy Games: This update is mainly a bunch of cleanup on the classic Exidy drivers. The memory maps are merged now, and I've gone through and removed a bunch of RAM that wasn't actually present on the real boards. I also fixed up the input ports on several of the bootlegs.
- Aaron Giles updated the Cinematronics Vector driver
- completely rewrote the CCPU core to be much simpler and follow MAME semantics
- rewrote the CCPU disassembler to use the "official" syntax
- added newly dug-up prototype game QB-3
- now require the CCPU PROMs for all the games
- added sound to Barrier, Star Hawk, War of the Worlds, and Boxing Bugs (note that samples don't exist yet, but I'm working with Zonn Moore to get them for everything except Barrier)
- rewrote sound routines for all the games based on schematics and Zonn's documentation
- fixed sound in Demon (was seriously wrong)
- changed sound handling in Solar Quest to play the music by looping a square wave instead of using canned samples
- added 64-level support for Solar Quest
- added proper color support for Boxing Bugs and War of the Worlds
- added star twinkle effects (not really visible without my future update to vector.c)
- made wotw the black & white hardware which was commonly seen as a Star Castle upgrade
- added wotwc as the color hardware version (same ROMs)
- cleaned up and fixed input ports for all the games
- Phil Stroffolino made a Namco IC update
- Fixes to the advanced ROZ chip used by System FL, Namco NB2, and some Namco System 2 games. Huge improvements to Mach Breakers, and game specific ROZ hacks have been removed.
- Fixes for the ROZ system used in older System2 games; in particular Dragon Blade glitches are no more.
- Abstraction for the tilemap system used in many Namco titles.
- Merged memory maps.
- The ROZ fixes unfortunately use a handful of custom code, to work around limitations of tilemap.c's roz support. I'll improve tilemap.c when I get a chance.
- Olivier Galibert added some hooks to the C 68k core in preparation for Sega decryption updates
- smf hooked up the GNET bios roms so the boot screen shows
- Tomasz Slanina improved the (se)xfiles driver, now shows some startup screens
New games supported or promoted from GAME_NOT_WORKING status
New clones added
New games marked as GAME_NOT_WORKING